Top 10 Things To Eat in January
All greens and no chips makes Adam a dull boy.
Hit the gym, fix yourself the occasional kale and mango smoothie, sure, but don't deprive yourself of some of the great eating that's to be had in January. Here are my top 10 dishes to chase away the blues (and greens) this month:
- The Full Peruvian at Andina, Shoreditch. It's a pretty healthy brunch offering at Martin Morales' new place, but here's what I'm having: two fried eggs, confit pork chicharron, potato rosti, wild mushrooms, grilled tomato, avocado and toast. Make amends with a Chaska (dried fig) smoothie.
- The Pig Trotter Scotch Egg at The Ape & Bird, West End. Brilliant pub food, perfectly executed. Get down there.
- The Lord Rupert salt beef bagel with Filthy Fries from Bell & Brisket at The Duke's Head in Highgate. The pub also serves a range of British craft beers. Double win.
- The Porchetta at Blackfoot in Exmouth Market. Rolled pork middle slow-roasted with fennel pollen, rosemary, thyme and sage. Simple and satisfying.
- Osso Buco Risotto Milanese at Cafe Murano, Mayfair. Italian comfort food to make your heart sing. If the langoustines are on special get them too.
- Grilled Iberico Presa with Jamon Butter at Ember Yard, Soho. It's a beautiful chunk of pig, cooked over a charcoal grill and served rare with jamon infused butter. It's f***ing awesome.
- The New Special at Honest Burgers. Beef, bacon ketchup, Comte, smoked onion rings, pickled green chilli & lettuce. It's not going to be around for long and neither will you if you have more than one. But one is OK.
- The Set Lunch Menu at Merchants Tavern, Shoreditch. Grand, relaxed dining for less than you'd expect. Two courses for £18 or three for £22. Stay for pudding.
- Popcorn Shrimp with Chilli Mayo & Lime at Milk & Honey, Soho. Crispy, light and dangerously addictive. The perfect accompaniment to an evening lost to classic cocktails and hushed conversation.
- Double D Tart with Pistachio Ice Cream at Smokehouse, Islington. It's only right to end with dessert and this one's killer. This is Neil Rankin's twist on a Double Decker - chocolate, Rice Crispies, nougat and nuts. It'll cure your sweet tooth for weeks.
That's it for January,